More on Greatest Integer Function

We have understand some properties and graph of greatest integer function on my previous post [ click here]



Understand this,

[2] = 2
[2.09] = 2
[2.8] = 2
[2.98] = 2
[3] = 3

i.e. for  2 \le x < 3, [x] = 2
it can also see from the graph for 2 \le x < 3, y = 2

1. Consider,

[x] = 5

what is the solution of this equation ??

[x] = 5 => 4 \le x < 5 or x \in [4,5)

and, [x] = -3 
then ,  - 3 \le x <  - 2 or x \in [ - 3, - 2)

most funny one,

[x] = 0
just don't think x = 0

if [x] = 0,
then 0 \le x < 1 or x \in [0,1)

So, if [x] = I and I is an integer,
then I \le x < I + 1 or x \in [I,I + 1)

2.Consider,

[x] = 5.6 (No Solution)

why???

because greatest integer function gives only integer values.

then there is no solution and for no value of x the above equation satisfied.

so if [x] = n and n is not an integer,
then there is no solution.

3. Consider,
[x] > 5
we know that,
for 5 \le x < 6 or x \in [5,6), [x] = 5

so if [x] > 5, then x \ge 6

in general,[x] > I, then x \ge I + 1 where I is an integer  

4. Consider,
[x] > 5.3

we know that, 
for 5 \le x < 6 or x \in [5,6), [x] = 5

so if [x] > 5.3, then x \ge 6

in general if [x] > n, then x \ge I + 1 where I is an integer and [n] = I


5. [x] \ge 5

we know that
for 5 \le x < 6 or x \in [5,6), [x] = 5

Since [x] can be equal to 5 
therefore, x \ge 5

in general, if [x] \ge I, then x \ge I where I is an integer

6. [x] < 5

since, for 5 \le x < 6 or x \in [5,6), [x] = 5
therefore, x < 5

so, if [x] < I, then x < I, where I is an integer

7. [x] \le 5

we know that
for 5 \le x < 6 or x \in [5,6), [x] = 5

therefore, x < 6

so, if [x] \le I, then x < I + 1, where I is an integer

SO THE IMPORTANT RESULTS ARE : (UNDERSTAND IT )

1, If [x] = I and I is an integer,
then I \le x < I + 1 or x \in [I,I + 1)

2.  If [x] = n and n is not an integer,
then there is no solution.

3. If [x] > I, then x \ge I + 1 where I is an integer  

4. If [x] \ge I, then x \ge I where I is an integer

5. If [x] < I, then x < I, where I is an integer

6. If [x] \le I, then x < I + 1, where I is an integer











Comments

  1. Replies
    1. See the property 3:

      That is if [x] > I => x >= I + 1.

      Therefore, when [x + 1/2] > 0
      Implies x + 1/2 >= 0+1

      Therefore, x >= 1-1/2

      Or, x >= 1/2

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Properties of Modulus & Argument: Complex Number

Fractional Part function

Geometrical Meaning of Argument and Modulus - I: Complex Number